Blogging at PLA
- Flew in Tuesday, uneventful flight -- on time!
- Dinner at Champion's in the hotel. Philly Cheesesteak and Killian's Red! Mmmmm
- Yes, I found a bakery cafe in the Food Court that has oatmeal. Really good oatmeal with bananas, raisins, and brown sugar. I'm happy!
Nancy Pearl "Book Buzz"
- Overflow crowd filled the adjoining public area. Amazing how popular our action icon is. I was thrilled to be there!Even took a picture (see Flickr photos)
- Nancy put together 4 publisher friends to preview new books - great stuff coming! My personal favorite? The Brief History of the Dead
- Nancy asked how many brought books along to read -- 2, 3, or 4?
- Nancy introduced the 4 publisher reps: Nora Rawlinson, Time Warner; Marcia Purcell, Random House; Virginia Stanely, Harper Collins; Talia Ross, Holtzbrink. She said 2 are librarians, and she suggested 2 might go to library schools. Then she said, "you notice I said LIBRARY school." Big cheer from the audience.
Michael Gorman, opening remarks
- New strategic plan for ALA. Encouraged consideration of increased dues to support it.
- Really overflow crowd. Ballroom was full. We ended up in the Sheraton watching big TVs with (almost accurate) closed captioning.
- Even on TV, Linda was inspiring. Her rapid fire delivery was a challenge to keep up with. Even more challenging to take notes.
- Quoted Patrick O'Brian (??) The public library is the only place you can walk in off the street and get information from a person with an advanced degree without having to pay for it.
- Talked about her life. Philosophy early on was "take big bites." Said at any point where she predicted her 5-year future, she got it wrong.
- Said most of the people in TV news think that they're smarter than those watching. So they give them what they think the viewers want. That's why TV is the way it is.
- Gave 5 recommendations about change
- When all else fails, do it your way. (only dead fish swim with the stream all the time)
- Face a new challenge with a new solution.
- You must always set a place at the table of life for the unexpected guest.
- Just because everything is changed doesn't mean everything is different.
- In this world a good time to laugh is any time you can
Vendor Exhibits opening with bagpipes. See Flickr photo. On 2 floors. I don't think people were finding the 2nd floor area. Much quieter up there.
Dinner At the Cheesecake Factory. One hour wait for a table, but terrific!